F. Pacific Southwest/ Security Bank Building - 1925
1060 Fulton Mall, Classical Revival, R.F. Felchlin, Architect.
      This 15-story bank and office building was the tallest building between Oakland and  Los Angeles from 1925 to 1966, when our own Del Webb Hotel passed it by a few feet. Originally, there was a huge beacon with a revolving light which could be seen for 30 miles. The current owners plan to restore it. The first-floor bank lobby has a 40-foot ceiling of hand painted sculptured plaster; this was covered for many years but has been restored by the current owners. The marble walls and floors in the halls have also been restored. Underground parking garage serves 150 cars. There has been a building on this site since 1875. The classical architecture features are  outstanding, with Greek columns topped with Corinthian capitals and their perfect acanthus leaves.

      9. "Clock Tower" - All wood by Jan de Swart, born in Holland. He received a gold medal from the American Institute of Architecture for his sculpture and one-man shows at Pasadena Arts Museums and Los Angeles County Art Institute.
      The 60-foot tall clock tower has bronze plaques listing the names of the committee that raised money for the art on the Mall. It also has a plaque honoring the three men who ensured the Mall was built, all of whom had passed away before the 1964 opening: Arthur A. Eckhold, Chairman of the Redevelopment Agency; Harrison O. Hogenson, Executive Director Redevelopment Agency; and Arthur L. Selland, Mayor of Fresno.
                                                                             Clock Tower
"Clock Tower" - by Jan de Swart

      10. "Big A" - Bronze and Aluminum by Peter Voulkos of Berkeley, California. He taught at many colleges and universities; he also had many one-man shows in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Montana, Denver, and Baltimore.

      G. Mason Building - 1918
1044 Fulton Mall, Classical Revival, E. Mathewson, Architect.

"Big A" - Bronze and Aluminum by Peter Voulkos

      The property was acquired by E. Mason of

Big A

San Francisco in 1878. His daughter, Lady Palmer of London, inherited the property and built the present building.

HOME   |    MAP   |    << BACK       NEXT >>